Tuesday afternoons are turning into one of the highlights of my week as I work with 12-16 School teachers from the Cyabagarura Secondary School. We are using a Discovery Bible Study (DBS) process as we help them improve their English. It’s exciting to see their English improve each week. But more importantly, I love watching the Holy Spirit bring the Word to life.
In a DBS we always ask these three questions:
- What does this teach us about God?
- What does this teach us about mankind?
- What does this teach you about you?
Here are some of the “takeaways” that the teachers shared yesterday from Genesis 3:14-24 (in their words):
- God is powerful.
- Respecting my husband comes from God.
- Pain in birth is normal.
- I must work.
- Sin is the reason we have pain.
- God makes judgements.
- We came from dust. We will return to dust.
- We must be humble and live simple lives.
- We must choose between good and bad things.
- We must pray for women when they give birth.
- Nothing in life is free.
- God is kind. Even though Adam and Eve sinned, he still made and gave them clothes to wear.
- There are many obstacles against men.
- It teaches me to obey.
- As a teacher I must work hard.
- One person’s sin can bring suffering to others.
- I need to increase love for others.
- We must fight bad actions.
- We must judge whether something is good or bad.
When we let the Holy Spirit do the teaching look what amazing truths come forth from the Word of God! There’s no way that I could have covered all of those topics had I been “teaching” them. Rather, I was the facilitator, the Holy Spirit was the teacher, and the source was the Word. We also had fun learning English as well!
Thank you for praying for this ESL/DBS each Tuesday. Pray that out of this group of teachers God will open our eyes to see the people of peace He’s raising up to transform their families and communities.